[mapserver-users] Farsi right-to-left labels

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Mar 11 18:36:26 EDT 2008

Hi There,

  Have you looked at the PostArabic posgresql module
(http://dcmms.sourceforge.net/postarabic.php).

  Not sure if Farsi and Arabic text are treated similarly but If that
was the case, you can load your data into a postgres/postgis DB, install
the postarabic module and use str_reverse and the shape_arabic functions
available to display your postgis layer with the labels in Mapserver.

Best Regards,

R Isfahani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to render some Farsi (Persian) labels on my map. As you may
> know, Farsi words are written from right to left, just like Hebrew.
> I've changed the label's encoding to 'Windows-1256' in my mapfile and
> I'm using TrueType fonts. Farsi letters have appeared. But the problem
> is that letters are in revers order and letters are not joining properly.
> Of course reversing the letters' order in database will cause the right
> order of them when rendering the map. But I wanna know if there's any
> other way to show farsi labels in right order with no joining problems.
>
> [Actually, I'm using Ka-Map on the top of Mapserver to render my maps on
> the web. Ka-Mappers told me that my problem is a kind of Mapserver problems]
>
> Any new ideas are welcomed.
> Thanx.

> it now.
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ