[mapserver-users] PHP/Mapscript: MapObj: Create obj from string instead of filename?

Matthew Pettis matthew.pettis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 17:28:52 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've created a mapfile as a PHP/Smarty template file with a bunch of
template variables in it in order to manage my mapfiles more efficiently.
I'd like to create my PHP mapObj from the string the template returns,
rather than write the template result to a file and then have the mapObj
read in that file to create itself.  I'm checking the documentation, and it
appears that a mapObj can be created from a file.  Can someone confirm if
this is true?  If so (or not), does anyone know of an easier workaround than
write-to-file/read-in-file to do this?  I ask, because doing it this way
defeats some of the template caching speed enhancements that Smarty gives me
(this workaround adds a write-to/read-from disk to the chain of events).

By the way, if you do use PHP/Mapscript with a mapfile that can be
templated, Smarty is a pretty good solution, imho (modulo this problem).

Thanks,
Matt

--
It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places that we are broken
that we come to repair the world.