[mapserver-users] Label Follows streets alignment issue

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Mar 28 10:42:17 EDT 2008

thomas bonfort wrote:
> Steve,
> I haven't noticed anything special, nor do I really understand what
> problem you mention.
> attached is a test image I used to check. do you see anything wrong in it?
> could you make a minimal test case to reproduce, or attach an image
> showing the problem?

Thomas,

Thank you. Your test image actually shows the issue I was mentioning.
Look at the left column, 4th and 7th image down. It looks like the gap
between the bottom of the text at the start of the label is farther from
the dark edge of the line than it is at the end of the label. This would
indicate the label is rotated fractionally too much in the clockwise
direction.

Some possibilities are:

1) it is rotated slightly off, rounding issue? other?
2) the jitter in the individual character placement is causing this
3) it is an optical illusion
4) it has something to do with the font being used
5) something else totally

If I look at Google maps, I do not notice this effect and I have had a
few separate clients notice this and ask about it, hence my inquiry.

Thank you for taking your time to looks into this.

Best regards,
   -Steve W