[mapserver-users] clip and zip server

Milo van der Linden mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Mon Mar 31 16:50:54 EDT 2008

Hello Jim,

This is no out of the box functionality, but I would solve this as follows:

You build some sort of webservice that responds to an AJAX request by:
A) //- Website functions ---//
1) - Taking the bounding box, the users e-mail and the selected layers
as parameters
2) - Doing some business logic to tell if the request is valid
3) - Storing the request including the users e-mail and the boundingbox
and the layers that the user selected (in a table in the postgres
database for instance)
4)- return an AJAX response telling the user that:
    - His request is added to the que
    - He will recieve the dataset per e-mail

B) //- Server batch ---//
1) You build a script on the server that
    - looks at the postgres table for pending requests
    - loops the requested layers doing a geo-select (postGIS function)
    - Export the selection to shape using ogr2ogr or psql2shp
    - zip the shapes
    - mail them.

Hope this is helpfull for you.

Kind regards,