[mapserver-users] WMS Cache in MapServer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 26 14:24:47 EDT 2008

Josh Hevenor wrote:
> Hey List,
> I've been poking around and found that GDAL supports caching in their
> WMS implementation...can this be configured through mapserver?
>
> http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html

Josh,

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.  Are you wanting to use
GDAL as a client for a MapServer based WMS server, and somehow have
MapServer providing caching hints to the remote GDAL client?

Or are you wanting to use the GDAL WMS driver as an input to MapServer
instead of the native WMS client support in MapServer so as to take
advantage of it's caching?

The second option is certainly possible.  Just go ahead and do it!
But you need to create the usual WMS driver "control file" per the
frmt_wms.html docs to reference as a the filename in your raster layer.

Best regards,