[mapserver-users] how to improve and speed Mapserver queries on PostGIS

Fabio D'Ovidio fabiodovidio at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 09:45:39 EDT 2008

Hello...
I developed a WebGIS application trought cartoweb (www.cartoweb.org). My
aim is to display a large numerber of points for each couple of (USER,
ROLE) that login into the system...

The problem is they are more than 50.000 points and even if I set
MINSCALE, MAXSCALE to display them, the time for queries is to much and
the whole application is slow.
Is there a way to speed the interaction beetween Mapserver and PostGIS?
Cosider that I created spatial and no-spatial indexes on points talbe in
PostgreSQL and I make queries from php\mapscript as following:

            $layer1 = new LayerOverlay();
            $layer1->name = "my_layer";
            $layer1->data = "the_geom from my_table  as foo using unique
gid using SRID=-1" ;
            $layer1->filter = "field1 = 'Y' and field2 = '$myValue' " ;

gid is PK...

Thanks for your help !

--
Fabio D'Ovidio