[mapserver-users] why 5.0.3 on latest linux distro's

Willy-Bas Loos willybas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 10:11:26 EDT 2008

exactly.
i built my own 5.2.0 too. But i'm not a system admin really and it's a bit
of a hassle. If i were planning to compile my software myself i would use a
different distro (Gentoo?).
I've been posting some stuff on the ubuntu forums too, but i don't get too
much response there.
I guess that 5.2.0 doesn't get into lenny (and so ubuntu 8.10) because it
hasn't been tested for long enough. It is still in the "experimental"
repository (thanks nico mandery for pointing this out to me), so not even in
"unstable" yet.
And that will probably mean that we won't see any higher than 5.0.x in lenny
- the stable debian versions for the next ±4 years. I know it's a choice for
stability and security -- all about priorities, so nothing to make a fuss
about -- but it's unconfortable nonetheless.

So lets try a different angle: if OSGeo are providing a package manager for
windows (osgeo4w), why not provide a repository for Debian / Ubuntu and
another one for RedHat / Fedora ?
Easy for me to say of course, but doesn't it seem unfair that Windows should
be favoured above open source OS's ?
(then, maybe i got it all wrong, so please correct me)

cheers,

WBL

In my experiences with Fedora, they tend to keep the same version of

--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others
because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw