[mapserver-users] speed optimization with shptree - when is it wothwhile?

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Thu Oct 16 13:56:39 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am currently experimenting with the shptree utility.  I notice that shptree
increases the drawing performance on shapefiles that have thousands of
features.  However, I was wondering what the threshold number of features in
a shapefile is before I should use the utility.  For example should I use
ShpTree for shapefiles that have 100 features or wait until there are 1,000
features in the shapefiles?  If anyone has any advice as to when I should use
ShpTree let me know.

Thanks,