[mapserver-users] Access control for wms served from mapserver cgi

Stephan Holl stephan.holl at intevation.de
Mon Oct 20 03:50:50 EDT 2008

Hello Mike,

Mike Leahy <mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca>, [20081020 - 13:58:06]

> Hello list,
>
> Does anyone on this list know of a simple strategy for configuring
> Apache to restrict access to specific mapfiles served as WMS through
> the cgi mapserv program?  I'd like to do is restrict access to
> specific IPs for URLs like the following:
> http://host/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/path/to/file.map[&...].
>
> It's easy enough to limit access to the mapserv executable itself,
> but I'd rather do it on a per-mapfile basis.  I tried a couple things
> using mod_rewrite in apache, but anything I've tried so far doesn't
> seem to work.
>
> I know that this sort of question has been asked before, but after
> searching/tinkering for a while, I haven't found a solution that
> works for me yet.

I am not sure if this is what you need, but we use a simple security
proxy inbetween[1] which filters the mapfile based on a given username
who is doing WMS/WFS requests. Desktop-GIS can be used with
InteProxy[2], if they do not have the ability to aquire user/pwd by
itself.

But perhaps this is too much for you?!

Best

	Stephan

[1]
http://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/docs/documentation/igeosecurity/deegree_owsproxy_documentation_en.pdf?rev=14255&root=deegree&view=log
[2] http://inteproxy.wald.intevation.org

--
Stephan Holl <stephan.holl at intevation.de>  | Tel.: +49 (0)541-33 50 8 32
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 OS  |  AG Osnabrück - HR B 18998