Fw: [mapserver-users] Is using ECW format allowed or not?

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Oct 21 07:46:58 EDT 2008

>>Richard Greenwood wrote:
>> I too would like some clarification about the ECW license,
>> specifically using ECW as a source in MapServer.

>Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>Jukka / Richard,

>My understanding is that you would need to negotiate a license with
>Leica for use of the SDK with MapServer as it's "server status" means
>you cannot use it under the no-cost-to-use arrangements.

>As usual, I am not a lawyer...

I called Leica about a license for using the ECW files on a server with
mapserver about 6-8 months ago.  I found it more cost effective to purchase
a new dual quad core server with 8 TB of SATA hard drive space and serve my
data up as Geotiffs.  I suggest you call Leica, get a quote, and make the
call based on your needs .

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

             Frank Warmerdam
             <warmerdam at pobox.
             Sent by:                  mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org
             mapserver-users-b                                          cc
             ounces at lists.osge
             o.org                                                 Subject
                                       Re: [mapserver-users] Is using ECW
                                       format allowed or not?
             10/20/2008 10:55
             PM

Richard Greenwood wrote:
> I too would like some clarification about the ECW license,
> specifically using ECW as a source in MapServer.

Jukka / Richard,

My understanding is that you would need to negotiate a license with
Leica for use of the SDK with MapServer as it's "server status" means
you cannot use it under the no-cost-to-use arrangements.

As usual, I am not a lawyer...

Best regards,

warmerdam at pobox.com