[mapserver-users] Symbol rendering performance (image x vectorxfont)

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:17:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 22:01, Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:
> Could we mimic the cache used for GD? It's homegrown...

conceptually there's no problem to add the same kind for cache for agg
in practice, two points come to mind:
* the caching mechanism for agg doesn't fit in smoothly with the gd
one (alpha channel once again)
* is it worth it performance wise ? (with point 1 making a test
environment to check this out rather difficult to put in place without
reimplementing/adapting the whole cache thing)

my *impression* is that the gain isn't worth the dev time to implement
the cache, but I have no hard feelings against the concept, just not
enough time play around with it to confirm.

--
thomas