[mapserver-users] WMS TIME using postgis time index, problem with GetFeatureInfo

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Oct 24 15:47:54 EDT 2008

Maarten,

Maarten Plieger wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I use a postgis database filled with files and their corresponding
> dates. This makes it possible to use WMS Time requests. This works very
> well, except for the GetFeatureInfo request. When I do GetFeatureInfo on
> a certain location I get this message:
> "msSHPOpenFile(): Unable to acces file.
> (/mapdata/RADNL25TIME)"
>
> The data is raster data, and has nothing to do with Shapes...
>
> This is a part of the mapfile of the layer:
>
> {...}
> TILEITEM "path" #path is a column in postgis table with varchar of the
> filepath to each image
> TILEINDEX "RADNL25TIME"
>
> METADATA
>        "wms_timeextent"
> "2008-10-24T00:00:00Z/2008-10-24T12:00:00Z/PT5M"
>        "wms_timeitem"         "datetime" #datetime is a column in
> postgis table of type timestamp
>        "wms_timedefault"     "2008-10-24T00:00:00Z"
> {...}
> END
> {...}
>
> Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?
> When I use a file directly instead of the PostGIS table, GetFeature info
> returns the correct results.

Maarten,

  Your request of GetFeatureInfo ends up being equivalent of a query on
a  tiled index raster layer. From what I can see, Mapserver seems to be
currently limited to only be able to do queries when the tiled layer is
a shape file.   I have raised an enhancement bug on this
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2796) but I am not sure how easy
It would be to support all data types in this case. (We should at least
be able to send a meaningful message to the user explaining the limitation).
Meanwhile, you might want to consider making your layer non queryable.

Best Regards

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca