[mapserver-users] WFS client layer not drawn: missing .gfs file?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 27 09:46:23 EDT 2008

Michael Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with gml reading/writing when used in an umn
> mapserver environment: I have a mapserver WFS client layer, that is
> not displayed when the getfeature response of the remote wfs-server
> has too many featuretype attributes. If I reduce the number of
> attributes in the featuretype the layer gets drawn correctly.
> Apparently at a certain amount of attribute fields (>15 non-geometry
> attributes) the layer is not drawn anymore.
>
> The interesting thing is, that when the layer gets drawn, the .tmp.gml
> and tmp.gfs files are created normally in mapservers tmp dir. When it
> is not drawn only the .tmp.gml is present. I have tested it with an
> older gdal/ogr version (1.3.2) but also with the latest (1.5.3) one.
> When i run "ogr2ogr -f "GML" new.gml
> umn_wfslayer_lot_of_attributes.tmp.gml " then new.gml and new.xsd are
> created without problems.

Michael,

I'm quite surprised.  So you are saying that ogr2ogr can read the GML
file but MapServer cannot?  Are you convinced that the new.gml is
correct?  Are you sure that your MapServer tests really used 1.3.2 and
1.5.3?

I would be interested in testing with a GML file with "too many attributes
to read" with MapServer though if the commandline tools are working fine
against it there may be little I can learn.

> Is it normal that the ogr gml reader/writer uses the older .gfs format
> when used in mapserver environment and the .xsd format when invoked
> from the command line?

Modern OGR versions create the .xsd when writing GML datasets in
a simplified GML profile.  But when reading foreign datasets a gfs
file is used to cache information on the GML schema, feature count,
and extents.  So, essentially this is normal behavior.

Best regards,