[mapserver-users] Serving large raster images using Tile Cache.

Asif Memon mmemon at sdsc.edu
Tue Oct 28 17:35:14 EDT 2008

I am working on the stand alone java based application that loads up the
images of anywhere from 2GB to 30 GB.

1) I read the documentation, and found out the tilecache can be done
using GDAL utilities, please see below an example -

Usage: gdaltindex [-tileindex field_name] index_file [gdal_file]*
eg.
  % gdaltindex doq_index.shp doq/*.tif

2) Is this the correct way of breaking an image into tiles? I see that
the image in converted into the shape files and not in a bunch of image
tiles. Am I doing something wrong here?

3) I also looked at openlayers, it wouldn't fit my requirements as it is
all javascript and my application is a stand alone java based
application, so I would need some java API to view these tiles.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Asif Memon