[mapserver-users] Labelling

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Fri Oct 31 15:53:39 EDT 2008

Nelson,

For the inline feature example.  If you do it in a layer of type
annotation, you only get the label.  See the mapfile example at the end
of this message.

For the second example, let's say that you wanted to label county
polygons, but you didn't like where MapServer was putting them.  You
would use some sort of desktop GIS to create points at the locations
where you want to put your labels.  In this point data set, you also
include an attribute that contains your label text.  You then create a
map file with your polygon layer and also an annotation layer that uses
your point data set as the data source.  You build the labels in the
annotation layer.  Your polygon geometries will show, and the labels,
not the point geometries from the annotation layer will show up.  In
this case, you are not building the points on the fly.

If you are asking if you can set the label position using an attribute
in the table to set the label position of individual features (ll, cc,
ul, etc), not according to the documentation.  You can use attribute
binding to set the label color, outlinecolor, angle, or size, but not
apparently position.
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/label  Of course, if
I was creating a point layer to use as label points, I would set the
point position assuming that I was going to center the label on the
point.

David.

MAP

  NAME 'hello_world'