[mapserver-users] Brand New User

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Sep 3 13:57:48 EDT 2008

Hello,

Welcome into the foray :)  I have some comments below inline:

Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is my first foray into servers et al. I have a couple of questions
> for anyone who wishes to answer.
>
> I have downloaded ms4w (Windows install package) installed it and tested
> for working by asking for version number through command line as well as
> an HTTP request to mapserver.exe. Both were successful.

great!

> Eventually I want to access a Postgis database.
>
> I have also downloaded Workshp -5 and installed it under ms4w/Apache/htdocs

MS4W is designed to have all of the add-on applications live in
/ms4w/apps/.

Also, to quote from the MS4W README:

"...a new httpd_*.conf file should [also] be added to
/ms4w/httpd.d/httpd_*.conf. (The /httpd.d/ directory contains Apache
configuration files that define which files on your computer/server are
Web-accessible. For each Web application that you install, a new
configuration file [will need to be created]."

Once you have created the new Apache alias that way, then you should
restart Apache (run /ms4w/restart-apache.bat from the commandline) and
goto 127.0.0.1/youralias

> My first challenge comes with setting the url and pathways in Workshop-5
> Map File and html pages.
>
> I want to set the system up as a local app until I get it running.
>
> 1. Can Someone give me a url and pathway example of a local setup? (I've
> attempted variations on localhost and localhost.localdomain with no
> success).

see above

> 2. Since Map File appears to be project oriented is this a file that I
> need to generate in order to access Poistgis?

Yes you will need to generate a custom mapfile.  Here are some resources
for you:

- Vector Data Reference guide, for PostGIS:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/postgis
- testing your .map file with the shp2img.exe utility (after executing
/ms4w/setenv.bat at the commandline):
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/utilityreference/shp2img

Also, please note that MS4W does have its own mailing list for
configuration issues (join at:

have fun.

--
Jeff McKenna