[mapserver-users] Ed's Rules for the Best Raster Performance

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Sep 15 15:48:01 EDT 2008

Interesting idea. This could take the form of a tile index with a couple of additonal columns, minscale and maxscale. Tiles would
be grouped together by using common with those values. You could do interesting things like have high resolution data in
some areas with other areas covered with lower resolution data over a broader range of scales. The whole layer could have it's
own floor/ceiling but tiles would be handled individually.

I wouldn't handle this as a new layer type, but rather by introducing parameters to indicate which columns to use, kinda like
TILEITEM. Your pyramids would be defined in the tile index...

I think the gdal tools would already support this nicely since they add to an index if it already exists so you could run those tools
over mutliple datasets. Vector layers could also be handled this way, no reason you couldn't have 1 tile per scale range.

Steve