[mapserver-users] MapInfo Auto Labeling and MapServer

Julien-Samuel Lacroix jlacroix at mapgears.com
Wed Sep 17 11:00:57 EDT 2008

Hi,

There's the SIZEUNITS parameter in the mapfile that can help you. I'm
not sure it works with labels, but it worth a try:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/layer

You can also try to set STYLEITEM AUTO at the layer level, but that
won't work with labels.
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/mapinfo

Julien

Matej wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after deploying MapServer on one of our servers I thinks that MapServer
> is a great tool but I am having some problems with TABs, imported from
> MapInfo. I am able to load all the layers from the test workspace except
> one, which consists of a houses (circle symbol) and house addresses
> (auto-labeling from the data field "Address").
>
> I have therefore some questions and will be very glad if there are some
> answers available :)
>
> - In MI for that layer I have auto labeling set which works OK. When I
> look at the map on different zooms, the text is larger or smaller, but
> every label exists and if I zoom in enough, every house has it's number
> visible. Is there a chance to somehow "directly" load this auto labeling
> into MapServer? If it is, how can I do this?
>
> I haven't found a good answer to the first question, so the next one is:
> - I have problems getting all the house addresses from MI since it
> creates the labels only with the sizes according to current zoom level
> AND only the part of the map visible at that moment. So when I want to
> have all the houses numbered with readable addresses (not covering each
> other), I have to zoom in enough and then move with cursor along the
> entire map for MI to "create" satisfactory labels. Using this method
> (well, it's a very very stupid one!) it works for smaller maps, but for
> larger it's a no-no. Also the labeling tools that are in MI affect
> current view only. Is there a tool which would do it more user-friendly?
>
> Since this is a pretty common problem as I see it, I am sure that some
> of you already had this problem and (hopefully!) found a solution.
>
> Thanks everyone for help and ideas in advance,
> Matej Serc

Julien-Samuel Lacroix
Mapgears
http://www.mapgears.com/