[mapserver-users] Flexible queries (to support address lookups)

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Sep 17 15:22:34 EDT 2008

This is one approach to the problem, but it does not deal with the real
problems of matching user entered addresses with addresses encoded on
street segments.

For example: matching AL 44, Alabama 44, AL-44, Alabama Highway 44,
Highway 44, State Highway 44, Rt 44, and various other abbreviations for
Highway, simple typo errors, adding N, N., North, S, S., South, etc
designations to the Highway, adding Alt., Bus., Byp., etc and on it
goes. You also need to deal with accented characters, that are sometimes
entered without accents.

In a geocoder, you typically have a standardizer that sort our all that
craziness. Then when you load the geocoder, you standardize the vendor
data and store it in a standard form. When you get a geocode request you
standardize the incoming request and then try to match the standard form
with the vendor data which is also in standard form.

You can also you techniques like metaphone/soundex codes to do fuzzy
searching and then use levensthein distance to score the possible
matched results for how close they are to the request.

You need to be prepared to handle multiple results to a query, for
example you search for Oak St. but only find North Oak Street and South
Oak Street.

Also what are you going to search? your whole dataset, or are you also
going to want to filter it by City, state, postal code, country. I thins
case you also need to be able to parse the full address into al these
additional terms. and filter your search to those appropriate to that
limited region.

It makes much more sense, to load the appropriate data records into a
relational database and make the queries in SQL. If you do not want to
use a full blown database like Postgresql or Mysql, then look at SQLite
which is a wonderful embedded database with zero management and had
binding for C, Perl, Python, PHP, TCL, etc.

My two cents, from someone that has his head and fingers in too many
geocoders.

-Steve
  http://imaptools.com/