[mapserver-users] OSX binaries update

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Sep 23 19:59:28 EDT 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 6:26 PM, Dane Springmeyer wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> I just installed you new mapserver 5.2.0-2.dmg to test out python
> mapscript.
>
> I get an inconv error which is odd. Any ideas?
>
> springmeyer:~ spring$ python
> Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 17 2008, 19:35:17)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)] on darwin
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/mapscript.py", line 7, in
> <module>
>    import _mapscript
> ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/_mapscript.so,
> 2): Symbol not found: _iconv
>  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.5/
> Libraries/libpq.dylib
>  Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib

Err, umm, oh.  Completely misleading - what I find in my binaries is
that GDAL links /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.dylib (which links /usr/lib/
libiconv).  I don't know how I keep missing this in my post-processing
for GDAL, or why nobody reported a problem since I released that build
in June.  And it's just the Leopard build (maybe [mostly] everyone
using Leopard installs my Postgres?).

I'll post an update soon.  Hold off installing Postgres, if you were
thinking about it, so I can make sure that's really the problem.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war