[mapserver-users] display wind or current arrow map

Ron Goldman ron at ocean.org.il
Thu Sep 25 01:13:41 EDT 2008

Hi daryl,

thank you for your answer.

I can preprocess the netcdf to change it to direction/magnitude. but I
couldn't get the SYMBOL to work with raster LAYER.

My mapfile looks something like this:

LAYER

   DATA "NETCDF:\test\test.nc:direction"

   TYPE RASTER

   PROCESSING     "BANDS=1"

   PROCESSING     "SCALE=0,360"

   CLASS

       EXPRESSION ([pixel] > 0.0 )

       STYLE

         SYMBOL "arrow"

         ANGLE     [pixel]

         COLOR     0 0 0

       END

    END

but I just get an black map of my raster. Are symbols supported with
rasters?

akrherz at iastate.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Ron Goldman wrote:
>
>> I have a netcdf containing the Lon/Lat components of winds and
>> currents and I want to display them on an arrow map. Is there a way
>> to do this? so far I only found a way to do this for point
>> shapefiles, but my data is composed of two rasters. any suggestions
>> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Hi Ron,
>
> Do you need to do this within the Mapserver CGI environment or can you
> use Mapscript to generate your images?  If you can use mapscript, you
> can write your own logic to figure out the rotation values based on
> the components.
>
> If you are stuck without mapscript, you could use another tool to add
> a rotation variable to your NetCDF file and then directly use it in
> your mapfile for symbol rotation (I believe this is now supported in
> 5.2.0)...
>
> Others on this list may have more clever ideas.
>
> daryl

This outgoing email was scanned for viruses and other malicious content by the IT Department of Israel Oceanographic & Limnological Research.
AntiVirus system managed by Eli W. Tel. 972-4-8565267
IMPORTANT: Do not open attachments from unrecognized senders.
Never open attached files with extensions: *.pif, *.scr, *.vbs, *.exe.