[mapserver-users] How to pimp WMS meta information?

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Sep 25 09:48:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 07:16:03AM +0200, Markus Spring wrote:
> trying to set up a multi-map service based WMS mapservices and
> OpenLayers, I would like to retrieve user-defined meta information from a
> map via the GetCapabilities request.
>
> For example, if I define
>
>    METADATA
>       WMS_TITLE                   "Palliativstationen"
>       WMS_ONLINERESOURCE          "http://gis.local/wms/palliativ"
>       WMS_SRS                     "epsg:31468"
>
>       WMS_SHOW_QUERY_IN           "large_popup"
>
>     END
>
> I would like to retrieve the value "large_popup" of WMS_SHOW_QUERY_IN
> through the GetCapabilities call. The background idea is that this
> information could be used by my application but should not harm other
> people's use of the WMS service.
>
> Is there any viable way to accomplish this with a mapserver based WMS service?

I have used the WMS keywords on a WMS layer to add special infos only
needed for my application. Not the cleanest approach, because other
applications will, of course, also see those special keywords you put
in, but as a workaround it is ok.

Would be nice if there was an "official" way to do this, though.

Jochen