[mapserver-users] ArcSDE 9.3 Support.

Andreas Albarello andreas.albarello at territoriumonline.com
Tue Sep 30 16:24:35 EDT 2008

On 30 Sep 2008, at 21:56, Nelson Soto wrote:

> After tracing dependencies with Dependency Walker, I can see sde.dll
> and
> libmap.dll aren't loading correctly when loading
> 'msplugin_sde_92.dll'.
>
> Any ideas on how to alleviate this?

Nelson,

dynamically loaded plugin dlls which in turn require other statically
compiled libraries is where Windows dll hell starts to get really
ugly. Windows tries to locate your sde libraries either in one of the
directories contained in your %PATH% (probably set by setenv.bat but I
don't use MS4W so I can't help you there) or, preferably, in the
application's folder. By that, if I'm not mistaken, they mean the
directory which the main executable image of your app is launched
from, so probably the one containing mapserv.exe (or maybe the one
where libmap.dll resides?). It's definitely not going to work if you
place them relative to the plugin inside your specialplugins folder as
that dll is dynamically loaded into the main application's process
space. What I'm saying is that Dependency Walker won't help you in
this case if you launch it directly on msplugin_sde_92.dll, because
what counts is what mapserver.exe/libmap.dll sees, not the plugin.

Still, if all fails, you could always just drop the sde libs into c:
\windows\system32 but I'm sure with some trial and error you'll find a
place where they get picked up correctly.

Best regards,
Andreas Albarello
Analysis & SW Development

Territorium Online srl/GmbH
Via Buozzi/Buozzistraße 12 - I 39100 Bolzano/Bozen
email: andreas.albarello at territoriumonline.com
web:   www.territoriumonline.com