[mapserver-users] Mapserver 5.0.3 on Ubuntu 8.10-AMD64 TrueType font problem

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Apr 10 09:55:22 EDT 2009

Martin Koch wrote:

> I used the same mapfiles. Everything works fine appart but when
> I use TrueType fonts for displaying labels I get a '500 Internal Server
> Error'. A default bitmap-font works well, but not the truetype font's I
> refer to in my fontset.
>
> I checked all my path's tripple, compared both servers for different
> right's settings, apache2 settings and installed packages. I reinstalled
> dependencies as libfreetype6 but still 'no go' with truetype.

I'd say check the paths inside your fontset again. I found and fixed a
very similar issue in v5.2 earlier this week, and it was caused by the
font file not being found. I would not be surprised if the same issue
existed in 5.0 as well:

Another hint: set CONFIG MS_ERRORFILE "stderr" in your mapfile and look
for any error in the Apache error_log. In the case of the ticket above,
the "font not found" error was not trapped properly but it would have
showed up in the error_log before the crash (unless stderr buffering
would have prevented it from getting to the log file before the crash).

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/