[mapserver-users] SQL 2008 Corruption using WFS Layer and OGR ODBC driver

joncoign jncoign at Knology.net
Fri Apr 10 17:05:35 EDT 2009

I have been trying to figure out an issue with MapServer failing to render a wfs layer using the OGR ODBC driver connecting to SQL Server 2008 with PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER" using FCGI. I found several reports of this with the plugin for SQL Server 2008 however due to needing to use Geography columns (not supported in the plugin) and stored procedures I have been trying to continue to use the OGR ODBC, but could not find reports of this issue under OGR. The error I am getting is as follows:

msWFSGetFeature(): WFS server error. ms_error->code not found msOGRFileOpen(): OGR error. Open failed for OGR connection in layer `Hospital'. SQL statement failed, or returned no layer result: EXEC dbo.MappingGetJNCTest -67.64596191401315,17.434709503474547,-65.17403808598685,18.99999999999999

The only resolution once the problem manifests is to kill the mapserv.exe processes used by fastCGI or to recycle the entire web application (IIS 7). The problem does not occur is I do not specify PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER". I see no unusual activity on SQL Profiler.

The issue does not happen when using SQL Serer 2005 with an identical mapfile (only change is the DSN definition). I have also verified that the problem does not occur when using the SQL Server Native Client 10 (which comes with SQL 2008) to connect to a SQL Server 2005 database.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any insight if this could be similar to bug that was affecting the SQL 2008 Plugin?