[mapserver-users] Elevation-like map

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:58:14 EDT 2009

Sure, you can do this with Mapserver.  The difficulty lies more in
pre-processing the data, than in having Mapserver display it.

- Step 1: Get some elevation data.

- Step 2: Create a hillshade layer. (I use rel.py with gdal to do this, but
you can do it with something else.)

- Step 3: Create a hypsometric tint layer of your elevation data.  (Note:
You can use Mapserver styles to directly read the DEM and style the
elevation zones.)

- Step 4: Combine the 2 layers with some transparency and you can get
something that looks like these -
http://lagerratrobe.blogspot.com/2008/10/continuous-vs-discreet-color-elevation.html
.

Contact me off-list if you want more info.

Roger