[mapserver-users] Special characters in Mapfile?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Apr 14 15:08:29 EDT 2009

Bistrais, Bob wrote:
> I am building some mapfiles, where the customer would like to use an
> ampersand in the Group parameter.  When I try this, the data does not
> display either in the map or in the Ka-Map legend.  Is there a way to
> use the ampersand (or any special character) in a Mapfile?

Bob,

Here is my advice:

- always quote strings in a mapfile (such as the layer's NAME and GROUP
parameters)
   - this should allow you to use special characters in your map image
   - test your mapfile with the shp2img commandline utility
- wherever possible, avoid using special characters in the NAME and
GROUP parameters, because these might/will cause grief for OGC services

I don't know how this relates to your specific application, but those
are my thoughts in terms of your map image.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services