[mapserver-users] Use of a Colortable

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Wed Apr 15 09:28:26 EDT 2009

Heiko,

Take a look at the map file documentation for the style of a class.  http://mapserver.org/mapfile/style.html#style

Look for COLOR.  You want to use the [attribute] option.  Instead of specifying a color for all of the features that fall into that class, you specify the name of an attribute column in your shapefile.  This attribute column should be a text column containing a 'RGB triplet', or three numeric values from 0-255 separated by spaces.  These values represent Red Green Blue.  (e.g. 255 0 255)

Here is an example layer:

LAYER
  # set the symbol color based on a value in a column in the attribute table
  NAME "aqi_stations_color"
  STATUS DEFAULT
  DATA 'aqiStations'  #this is the shapefile with the data
  TYPE POINT
  CLASS
    NAME 'AQI Stations'
    STYLE
      SYMBOL 'circle'
      SIZE 12
      COLOR [OUT_COLOR]   # OUT_COLOR is the shapefile column containing the color values
      OUTLINECOLOR 128 128 128
    END

  END

David.