[mapserver-users] Mapserver with mygis question

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Aug 3 08:53:19 EDT 2009

Marcos Nogueira wrote:

> But now I am working in an application that necessarily uses MySQL.
> Doing my research I crossed with mygis.
>
> But when I execute the mapserv -v I don't see  "input=mygis".
>
> Is there a way to compile/add mygis with/to MS4W??
>
> If not with MS4W... how can I do it ??

MyGIS is not the same as MySQL's spatial extension. It was a custom way
to handle geometries in a MySQL database that was implemented
specifically for MapServer and was not used anywhere else if I'm not
mistaken.

Anyway, the MyGIS driver is no longer being supported in MapServer, so
it would be a bad idea to base any new application on it.

You should instead consider using an OGR connection to connect to your
MySQL database. I'm not sure how complete the OGR driver is, but that
would be a much better bet than MyGIS:

   http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_mysql.html

Another option if all you have is point data (no lines or polygons)
would be to use OGR with a .ovf file. More info about this option here:

   http://mapserver.org/input/vector/mysql.html

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette