[mapserver-users] Too Many Open Files

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Aug 12 09:42:03 EDT 2009

aseem wrote:
> Thanks Daniel. Thanks for the reply. Yes, We are using MapScript.

PHP MapScript?

> I have
> checked the open files by executing lsof command. I found that most of the
> files are related to FGS. Following is the part of the output we got after
> running lsof command.

You seem to have two processes with each about 30-40 files open, mostly
shared libraries. That's nothing to worry about or to take a system down.

Perhaps you need to re-check after 20-30 minutes of operation, when the
web server locks up (this is what happens, right?). What we're looking
for is an indication of a leak of file handles, i.e. the same file
opened hundreds of times... then we'll need to find out why that file is
never closed.

Which error message did you get exactly that led you to think that there
was a problem of too many files opened? Does the same problem happen if
you connect directly to the instance of Apache that comes with FGS
instead of going through the Tomcat server?

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/