[mapserver-users] msOGRFileNextShape(): OGR error. TopologyException: side location conflict

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 19 10:01:39 EDT 2009

Friend Vn 2000 wrote:
> Thanks Frank, Daniel and Oliver,
> I'm sure that my data has topology errors. I'm using pure MS4W and my
> method is PHPMapscript. My small application is only for zoom, pan.
> In my experience, I also think MapServer or any mapping engine can draw
> a request map without checking its topology for legal or not. And my
> .mdb file runs well in ArcMap or ArcCatalog, and I think they don't take
> notice of topology when playing my file.

Friend,

You are correct that MapServer does not really care about the
consistency of the geometries.  This problem appears to be caused
by use of GEOS and that GEOS is very picky about geometry correctness.

I still don't understand why things are going through GEOS and I'm hopeful
you will be able to file a ticket that allows us to track this down.

Best regards,