SV: [mapserver-users] Mapserver consuming Google Maps

Till Adams adams at terrestris.de
Wed Aug 26 03:20:30 EDT 2009

Niels-Peter,

I really do not see the need for this.

All things, which are fun regarding Mapserver are not possible with
GoogleMaps, e.g. reprojection or define your map layout in an easy way.
Even if you would write some piece of code, which would enable mapserver
getting that google tiles as a datasource you'll have at least a slower
service than pure google and - if reprojecting the google stuff - you'll
have "unreadable" maps with distorted labels.

So beside the fact Chris already mentioned - I think if you have a
client, which is able to show Mapserver services AND google map services
together, you're fine, or what is your intention?

Regards, Till

> Yes, it could be a violation of terms, but not if the copyright notice and
> links still is there - or am I wrong on that ?
> At least, thats this is what the Openlayers community thinks.
> I think it would be a very nice if that could be accomplished with MapServer
> too.
>
> Niels-Peter

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Irmintrudisstrasse 17