[mapserver-users] MapServer 5.2.1 performance

Gorka Lopez gorka.lopez at geograma.com
Wed Aug 26 11:56:11 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have a .map file with 120 layers. All this layers contain different
information and this project is prepared to consume all these layers
together. The style of those layers is basic (some annotations and some
tematics)

This layers consumes PostGIS tables (28 tables) which disk spaces are
between 1 MB and 1GB (database total space: 2,5GB). The indexes of these
tables (gist and btrees indexes) and the statistics are created. These
information are in the same coordinate system that in the requested tiles.

I want to improve the performance and I have the following results for a
512x512 tile:

* 27 milliseconds per visible layer (layers that are visible in the map's
scale (40 layers))
* 18 millisecods per non-visible layer (layers that are not visible in the
map' scale (80 layers))

Is there any solution to improve this results (I just use tilechache
metatile property)? I think that 18 milliseconds per non-visible layer is
too much (only for evaluating wether the requested tile is contained in the
layer's min/max scale)

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Gorka López