[mapserver-users] MapServer Oracle performance

Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Thu Aug 27 20:28:24 EDT 2009

Hi Mike,

I am not that familiar with the problem but I believe you are talking about the internal MapServer's
Oracle SDO_GEOMETRY support not GDAL/OGR/OCI. Right? Would that run faster with? How does it compare
in performance with Oracle's Mapviewer?

Anyway, I believe I understand the issues of Binding in OCI since I faced it in GDAL/GeoRaster
myself. So if you need one more eye on the code, count me in.

But since we are talking about the overall performance of MapServer with Oracle I would like to take
the opportunity to ask a question that concerns me, if you don't mind.

I setup an very simple MAP file with a GDAL/GeoRaster as the DATA parameter of a layer like that:

   LAYER
     DATA "geor:scott/tiger at orcl,CITIES,SCENE,ID=120"

This raster is 14336x14336x3 big (600Mb) and has 7 level of pyramids on it. The question is that,
because of the pyramids (= GDAL overviews) this image loads, pan and zoom pretty fast on QuantumGIS
with the Oracle Raster plugin but that doesn't help at all in MapServer.

I might not be that familiar with MapServer architecture either, but it looks to me that it doesn't
take advantage of Pyramids at all. Not even if the raster is stored in MrSID. The only way to go is
to build tile cache. Right?

Best regards,

Ivan