[mapserver-users] WMS: raster's x and y pixel dimension

fla83tn at libero.it fla83tn at libero.it
Tue Dec 1 10:31:00 EST 2009

Thank you Jukka for the quick reply. Now I'm able to correctly generate z-
dimension from DEM layer.
However, since I'm new to GIS, I'm not able to
understand the differences between WCS and WMS..could
you briefly summarize
the goal of the two approach?
And, as last question , should I set the resX and
resY parameters from client or could I embed them directly into the map file?

Best regards,
Flavio

>Hi,
>
>Width, height and BBOX are all compulsory
parameters in WMS GetMap
>request and Mapserver is sending an image according
to the request.  If
>you want to be able to control the pixel size easily,
without making WMS
>client to balance the BBOX and image size in pixels,
consider using WCS.
>One way to make a WCS request is
>
>http://server.fi/cgi-
bin/mapserver_wcs?SERVICE=WCS&VERSION=1.0.0&REQUEST

>=GetCoverage&COVERAGE=DEM&FORMAT=image/tiff&CRS=EPSG:3067&ResX=1.0&ResY=
>1.
0&BBOX=533652,6973434,534658,6974219

>You can see parameters ResX and ResY
which are used for controlling the

wrote:

>> Hi to all,
>> I've a problem with the loading of  a raster
image via WMS (1.3.0).

>> To load the layers of my project I use gvSIG. If
I load my
>> digital elevation model (DEM) directly from filesystem (which

is a HFA/Erdas Image file - .img),

>> x and y pixel dimension are fixed to
2.5 and -2.5 meters
>> respectively, and fixed are also the width and height
attributes.
>> If I load the layer from
>> Mapserver's WMS instead, x and y
pixel dimension change as I
>> zoom in or out (i.
>> e. changing the width

and height parameters of the getMap request).
>> Is there
>> the possibility
to tell the wms client that x and y pixel
>> dimension are constant and should
never be calculated?

>> Here's my layer definition and the
>> tiff