[mapserver-users] Layer based on a view renders faster than if based on a table

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Dec 4 17:05:29 EST 2009

Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca wrote:

> I thought that a layer definition based on a table would be much faster
> than on a view.
> What should be the expected behavior please?
>
> Please tell me is this should be asked to postgis forum.

I'd suggest you capture the exact SQL query that is run in each case
(using DEBUG/MS_ERRORFILE) and check that the difference in time indeed
comes form the PostGIS queries.

If that's the case then you could submit a question to the postgis list
based on that, taking MapServer out of the equation.

If on the other hand the queries take about the same time and the time
difference is in MapServer's code (which I doubt) then we'd need more
details (ideally a testcase) to be able to reproduce and troubleshoot
the issue.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette