[mapserver-users] Question on the layer order impact in a Getmap(WMS) call

Ted Spradley tspradley at snoogems.com
Wed Dec 9 10:58:22 EST 2009

Barend Kobben wrote:

> The WMS GetMap interface standard requires layers to be drawn in order
> (bottom to top) they appear in the LAYERS= statement in the request. So
> that
> overrides the order in the MAP file...

By observation, I might add to this that if layer STATUS is DEFAULT, the
layer order does not appear to be affected by the order in the WMS call.  If
any layers are STATUS DEFAULT, LAYER rendering in a WMS call appears to be
ordered by DEFAULT layers drawn in their map file order, then other layers
by order in the WMS call.

Am I correct in this observation?

Ted S