AW: [mapserver-users] How do I Control QUERY Output?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri Dec 11 21:27:10 EST 2009

Steve Lime wrote:
> The AJAX method will work nicely. This site does just that:
>
>   http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/csg/index.html
>
> If you use the identify tool to click on a point the query output is
> placed in an Ext window. If
> you hover over a point very simple query output is stuffed in a div.
>
> Steve

Your example above is tantalizing. What it shows with the Identify tool
is just what I'm trying to learn how to do, but it contains a lot of
inter-twingled code from multiple libraries, and I can't seem to open
and read all the files, so it's a bit beyond my reach.

I know how AJAX works, and I was able to get close by putting an AJAX
call in the template file called by my layer and reading the XML file
generated in the template file after a click in Query mode, but that
approach just doesn't seem right. Too kludgey.

In the "AJAX method" you mention above, where do you intercept the
normal mapfile sequence from the mouse-click to the layer's call to the
template, to the final map redraw? Do you even use a template file to
resolve variables, or do you get those some other way? Is there a
simpler demo out there that demonstrates the technique? I'm sure this is
simpler than I think, but I just don't see it yet.

Any suggestions for the thick-headed?

--
- Bill Thoen
  GISnet - www.gisnet.com