[mapserver-users] mapserver 5.6.0, RFC 52 and driver support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Dec 26 12:46:05 EST 2009

Brent Fraser wrote:
>>> Do you think there would be any point in making the changes for OGR (for
>>> my ODBC -> Sql Server connection)?  If so, I'll start having a look at
>>> the
>>> code...
>>>
>>> Brent

>> Brent,
>>
>> I believe OGR would benefit greatly in some circumstances from one
>> pass query.  I hadn't realized it was not already implemented.
>>
>> Steve - if you can provide pointers on what needs to be done, I could
>> likely do this.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> --
>
> Frank,
>
>   This would be great!
>
> Brent

Steve / Brent,

I have implemented support for RFC 52 in MapServer trunk (r9640).  The
change should be easily ported into the 5.6 source code (just copy
http://svn.osgeo.org/mapserver/trunk/mapserver/mapogr.cpp over the 5.6
version of mapogr.cpp).

I tested a query with a large DXF file and the improved speed was very
dramatic.

If this all works well in testing, and depending on the opinion of the
PSC we might consider migrating this change into the 5.6 branch for 5.6.1.
The downside to doing this is that it could break mapscript applications
using the query api on OGR datasources.  Not something I like to do on
a point release.

Best regards,