[mapserver-users] How to display multiple labels in single layer in Mapfile

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Thu Feb 5 06:19:08 EST 2009

Hi Venkat,

yes, that's exactly what the TEXT parameter can do. The labelitem is
ignored if the TEXT parameter is found in a class definition.

To define a label from multiple attributes you write in the class definition
TEXT ([myAttribute1], [myAttribute2])

a small example:
    CLASS
      EXPRESSION "2004"
      NAME "2004"
      TEXT ([TK50]:![BEFLIEG1],[BEFLIEG2])
      LABEL
        WRAP "!"
        TYPE truetype
        FONT 'verdana'
        ANTIALIAS true
        SIZE 8
        COLOR 100 100 100
        OUTLINECOLOR 250 250 250
      END
    END

This definition labels a polygon with the name of a topograpic map and
two dates in the following way:
"6548:
 2001,2006"

The WRAP parameter additionally defines a character at which a label
should insert a linebreak, in this case a "!" and you'll find the ! in
the TEXT parameter definition.

HTH, Michael

Michael Schulz
mschulz at webgis.de