[mapserver-users] How to get Layers By Group

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Thu Feb 5 23:00:55 EST 2009

Venkat Rao Tammineni wrote:
>    How  can I retrieve layers  by Group Name. And how to loop these
> layers based on group. Where I can able to  switch on and swatch off the
> layers based on Group.

A group is just a "fake layer" with many layers. You request a group in
the same way as you would a layer; the only change is that you use the
group name and will get all the layers mixed together.

Example:

LAYER
   NAME "roads"
   GROUP "usamap"
END
LAYER
   NAME "lakes"
   GROUP "usamap"
END
LAYER
   NAME "cities"
   GROUP "usamap"
END

I would then request "layers=usamap" and magically get all three layers
merged into one request.

> I have Group property in my mapfile .but I don’t
> know how to get layers and populate some control

As to generating a control, that's the same as with layers as well
except that you would use getAllGroupNames() instead of
getAllLayerNames() But that depends on your own programming style and goals.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth    BS, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
System Administrator, Lead Programmer

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA