[mapserver-users] Reference to OSGeo software in reply to Canadian Public Works Request for Information

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Sun Feb 22 13:16:33 EST 2009

   Acquisitions Branch of Public Works and Government Services Canada
(PWGSC) did an official RFI on so-called "No Charge Licensed Software".
   I included the two issues I found at work that I discussed here in
the past, and use them to compare the benefits of Open Source compared
to sole proprietor software.

  OpenDocument and PDF versions are available from:
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/5014

OSGeo is at the end:

6. Lessons from Agriculture Canada
6.1. Character Encoding
6.2. Compressed RASTER data in database

  For those in this list from Ottawa, it was great to meet some of you
on Thursday at the Ottawa chapter meeting.  I'm an open source person,
but even though I have little-to-no geospacial experience I was
welcomed.  I hope to meet more of you at future events, and learn more
about the geospacial community.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"