[mapserver-users] wcs client support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Feb 27 18:38:37 EST 2009

Roger André wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Apologies if this is a dense question, but is it correct to assume the
> following:
>
> 1) create an XML file similar to this one that points at valid WCS service:
> <WCS_GDAL>
>   <ServiceURL>http://maps.gdal.org/cgi-bin/mapserv_dem?</ServiceURL>
>   <CoverageName>srtmplus_raw</CoverageName>
> </WCS_GDAL>
>
> 2. Create a Mapserver LAYER with TYPE raster, and where the DATA line
> points to the above-mentioned XML file.
 >
> Is that it?

Yes

 > Do I need to specify in the LAYER something special for
> Mapserver to use GDAL to query the WCS via the XML file? (whew, say
> that 3x fast)

No, nothing special.  As far as MapServer knows this is just
another raster file.  I will note that the XML file with the WCS
definition needs to be writable as the first time it is accessed
GDAL will fetch the WCS capabilities and add a bunch more detail in
the XML file.  You might want to even trigger this in advance with
gdalinfo to ensure things are working ok.

Best regards,