[mapserver-users] Strange symbols with WMS in ArcGIS

Bistrais, Bob Bob.Bistrais at maine.gov
Wed Jan 14 17:05:02 EST 2009

This is probably more of an ArcGIS question than MapServer, but perhaps
somebody here has an idea.  I am building a WMS-enabled service with
MapServer and have been testing it out.  I am using a True Type Font for
the highway route shields, the .ttf file is located in the Windows/Fonts
directory on the server.

As expected, the service looks fine when consumed by MapServer and
Ka-Map.  It also looks fine when using the open source QuantumGIS
(QGIS).  But when the WMS service is consumed by ArcGIS, the Interstate
Highway shields look like ampersands (the "&" symbol).  I have not been
able to determine why the symbols look correct by some consumers, but
not ArcGIS.  Does anyone have any suggestions?