[mapserver-users] Mapserver --> ESRI sde --> zlib -->core dump

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Fri Jan 16 13:29:09 EST 2009

   Again, apologies for asking a non-Mapserver question in this forum.
This is a group of people I suspect might have come up against this
problem and a solution.

   We're trying to get mapserver to connect to SDE to get RASTER data.  I
know that mapserver just uses GDAL to handle this type of connection.

   At first I was trying to get this connection to work with GDAL 1.4.4 and
it wasn't connecting, but with GDAL 1.6.0 it connects fine.  The command
line gdal_translate from this version can grab data without a problem.

   In mapserver I use:

DATA "SDE:dome,5150,sde,username,password,XDM_XDATA.ELV_NA_GEBCO_BATHYMETRY,RASTER"

   Mapserver will connect to the server ( GDALOpen() isn't NULL), but I
then get a core dump.  With gdb I found that the problem happens when
inflate_fast() in libz is called by inflate_codes() in libsde.

   Googling I found this problem being discussed back in 2007
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=2&f=1718&t=212867  (Started by Howard
Butler).  I see a bug tracking ID, but I can't find that ID anywhere but
in that message (IE: there doesn't seem to be a bug with that ID on
support.esri.com ).

   Has anyone in this forum bumped up with this problem and found a
workaround?  I'm currently using ArcSDE 9.2sp5 . Is this something that is
known to be fixed in 9.3?

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"