[mapserver-users] problems compiling latest version on linux

P.Romero romero619 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:06:27 EST 2009

Im having new problems compiling both the latest versions of GDAL and also
mapserver.

I didn't experience these problems with the previous versions (about a month
ago?).

Running "./configure -with-gdal" for mapserver is causing the makefile to
request a lot of new libraries, which I've had to manually install using
"yum", but now Im stuck with a dependency for "-lpq" which I have no idea
where to get.

Compiling gdal was also more complicated than the last time (about 1-2
months ago).

This time, I was forced to manually edit the GDALopts file and remove
certain formats (netcdf, fits, and some others) in order to avoid build
errors (this is new, as I didn't have this problem a month ago on a similar
system).

Questions:

1)       why is the new version of mapserver configuring the makefile with
so many new dependencies for the "with-gdal" opcion???

2)       How can I resolve all of these gdal dependencies in the
fastest&most efficient way possible???

3)       Currently, I am ONLY using mapserver for generating png images from
a shapefile using a mapfile and mapscript. What would be a minimal build
configuration that would allow me to do this, without having to install so
many additional libraries???

Please help,

Thanks,

P.Romero