[mapserver-users] Problem with transparency overlays

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Fri Jan 30 08:31:02 EST 2009

Hi Rafael,

Here's what the doc has to say about the TRANSPARENT option in the MAP
object :

<<<
TRANSPARENT [on|off]

    Use FORMATOPTION “TRANSPARENT=ON” in the /OUTPUTFORMAT/
    <http://mapserver.org/mapfile/outputformat.html#outputformat>
    declaration to specify if the output images should be transparent.

    Deprecated since version 4.6.

So you should use OUTPUTFORMAT, for example like this :

<<<
OUTPUTFORMAT
NAME "agg"
MIMETYPE "image/png"
DRIVER AGG/PNG
EXTENSION "png"
IMAGEMODE RGBA
TRANSPARENT ON
FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
END

(the above example uses the AGG driver)

Then, in your Openlayers layer's definition, use this param :
roads = new OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer( "Roads",
"http://192.168.1.100/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=us_states.map",
{layers: 'us_roads', map_imagetype: 'agg'}, {isBaseLayer:false});

The "transparent" option has no effects on a Layer.MapServer. It would
have on a Layer.WMS though.

Be sure to look at the OUTPUTFORMAT documentation to pick the right
image type you want to use.

Hope this helps,

Alexandre

Alexandre Dubé