[mapserver-users] An example of GeoPDF output (not from Mapserver... yet)

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Jul 9 10:44:27 EDT 2009

     This post likely belongs in Geowanking (http://geowanking.org), but since
we're getting close to releasing Mapserver with Cairo/PDF, I thought I'd stir
the pot.

     The Canadian federal government's mapping department released a new
rendered map product CanTopo
(http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/collection/detail.do?id=37505) last
week.  So far they've only released about 50 of a possible 13,000 1:50k map sheets.

     Some interesting points:
   - The PDF info is vector (not simply a scanned map stuffed into a PDF)
   - they are GeoPDFs (if you use Acrobat Reader on Windows there will be a
dynamic Lat/Lon/MGRS readout)
   - the info is organized onto layers you can switch on/off
   - the map is based on their CanVec GIS data
(http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/product/search.do?id=28954)
     but the feature name label placement must have been done by hand!

You can download them from the .ca link above, but here's one I've made
available on my server:
http://139.142.13.163/Download/Mapserver/092b12_0601_geo.pdf

   It will be interesting to see how close we can get to similar output with
Mapserver 6.0...

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.