[mapserver-users] Finding the centroid given the feature

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Jun 1 16:11:21 EDT 2009

MapServer templates can produce a center point for a geometry but it's not a true centroid but those
aren't guaranteed to be "in" the polygon. MapScript could be used as well I suppose. In either case you'd
send a lookup request to the CGI or MapScript, do an attribute query and return whatever you'd need.

Steve

<6db14d250905290732pb01747wce200eddfe73d1b2 at mail.gmail.com>, Varun saraf
<vsaraf.gmu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using mapserver 5.0 with google maps and the data source is the
> US Census tracts as shape files and dbf files.
>
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us>
> wrote:
>> What version are you using? What data source?
>>
>> Steve

>> <6db14d250905280801q3660a6a7ycbcd5f5a238c595c at mail.gmail.com>, Varun saraf
>> <vsaraf.gmu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I know mapserver uses a point-in-polygon method to find a feature
>>> given a set of co-ordinates, but can it do the same thing reversed?
>>> For example. Each polygon I draw has a number associated with it which
>>> is in a "dbf" file with the same name as the "shp" file that mapserver
>>> uses to draw the polygons. My current map file allows me to fetch that
>>> unique number whenever I pass the co-ordinates of any point inside
>>> that polygon (mapserver uses the point-in-polygon method to fetch me
>>> the polygonID). The query I use is
>>>
>>> http://127.0.0.1:8123/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?&map=C:/ms4w/apps/workshop-5.0/testMa
>>> p.map&mode=query&mapxy=-77.098617