[mapserver-users] mapserv with fast-cgi

Martin Kofahl m.kofahl at gmx.net
Wed Jun 3 14:31:31 EDT 2009

Hi,
I have mapserv with fast-cgi support running on a 4-cpu linux box with
apache2 + mod_fastcgi. I used apaches ab (with 20+ concurrent requests)
to compare between fcgi and cgi. While mapserv as cgi appeared a couple
of times on the process monitor using about 4x100% cpu, there was only
one mapserv process launched by the fcgid deamon using about 1x80% cpu.
Performance results are accordingly. FastCgiConfig  is taken from
http://mapserver.org/optimization/fastcgi.html and minProcesses is '2'
(but I still see one only). Raw data for this test are in tiff format,
no pgsql.

Is mapserv-cgi expected to be faster than -fcgi?

Martin